The American River

Do you like to whitewater raft?  Hike? Pan for Gold?   The Coloma-Lotus Valley north of Sacramento has some of the most diverse, iconic landscapes in California and crucial water supply for much of California’s people and agriculture .  The canyon hosts 117  bird species including bald eagle and osprey as well as black bear, deer, bobcat, river otter, rainbow trout and salmon.

The South Fork American River Trail is beautiful.  You can travel on trails near the river for over 20 miles.

Meatgrinder, Troublemaker, Satan’s Cesspool, are you ready to go rafting?  The river is one of the most commercially rafted rivers west of the Rockies, perfect for novices and experts alike.  Children as young as 8 can raft the river and there are over 30 rafting companies to choose from.

This morning, as I was enjoying wi-fi, latte and a sunrise muffin from Sierra Rizing Bakery, a group of young guys from Action Whitewater Adventures were discussing rafting.  Sticking my nose into their conversation got me a ride on the guide raft this Sunday as a start to the season.

About these ads

1. Posted by Steve Baker on April 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

Uh oh … you are lost already! We are East of Sac. I’m the thrift store guy you and Edgar met yesterday. My dog allowed Edgar in her garage (a first) I didn’t get a chance to chat with you much, hope you can make it by here again, I’d love to hear about your past, present and future adventures. Me being a professional hitchhiker back in the day … you remind me of me. That’s pretty awesome what your doing.

2. Posted by Janet Barton on April 28, 2011 at 10:51 am

The Barton family went white water rafting in Bali several years ago, it was fun, but we hit a rock, our boat overturned and Maureen had to save Victoria from drowning. I’m sure with a boat full of guides, you’ll have an easier ride…….maybe. Have a Blast!

3. Posted by Arleen Girotti on April 28, 2011 at 11:01 am

Have a great time Cathy –Is Edgar going whitewater rafting too ?

4. Wow, lucky gal! Enjoy!!!!!

5. Cathy,
    I am so happy for you! We used to raft every Summer with a group from the Hillsboro Fire department. Names like Buckskin, Wild Horse Mary and Box car. We camped overnight during the trip each time. It was a great deal of fun! I’m glad you get to experience this. You’ll have to tell us all about it!.
    I also see that you are getting a following as you go! Good for you. The scenery and animals would be so much fun to see!! You and Edgar have a great time! I think about you often. Love You!

6. I found a day sitter for Edgar. All these guides are young and strong and I am the only novice, I’m sure to be in good hands. I can’t wait to tell you all about it!

7. Posted by Mike Holcomb on April 29, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Congrats on the rafting experience! Did they teach you how to hold your breath when you fall in the river? Also is not the river still almost ice cold from the snow runoff? Have fun and post pictures.

8. Only wanna comment on few general things, The website design and style is perfect, the content material is real good : D