“Your car is on fire.”

Driving back to Houston from Galveston without remembering to take the car out of first gear was in retrospect a really stupid thing to do, but I did it anyway.  “Your car is on fire” not words we ever want to hear.  I pulled over to the side of the 610 loop and jumped out.  The car immediately gasped its last breath and spilled it’s oil all over the ground.  I put an engine rod through the oil pan, destroying the engine.

Sabino from the Shell station on the West Road exit off I-45 agreed to put in a new engine for $1,750 and get me going.  BTW, that is after Shalom Car Service, the shop AAA towed me to, quoted $3,959 and said the tranny was blown, it was not.

While the car was being repaired, we decided to take the RV to Dallas.  The RV backfired and stopped in the middle of 7 lanes of traffic on the 610 loop.  When the Houston motorcycle officer pulled up next to my window, I immediately started blabbering incoherently, he looked horrified, and asked me if I could back the RV to the side of the road if he stopped traffic.  After stopping 7 lanes of Houston traffic I backed the rv to the side of the road without power steering, glad I wasn’t towing the car.  A battery cable had shaken loose, we were on our way in minutes after David made the repair.

1. Posted by Michele on June 27, 2011 at 8:07 am

I thought you were on your way back to CA, It’s to hot in Texas you need to get out of there. You need to go somewhere park it for a while and RELAX!!! luvM

2. Posted by Gail Watson on June 27, 2011 at 8:30 am

Life IS full of challenges isn’t it? Take it in stride and happy trails. Gail

3. OMG Cathy! I’m so glad you are okay. And that your car didn’t burst into flames and be completely destroyed. I guess we learn as we go along. You wanted adventure, and you are getting it! Hang in there girl!

4. Wow, what bunch of challenges all at once! Sounds like you are keeping a positive attitude though.

I’ve had a ton of car “adventures” in my life. It helps you appreciate when your car just runs without needing anything.

5. Posted by Jim Grammer on June 27, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Holy crap, what an adventure! Glad to hear the motorhome was a simple fix. 8^)

6. OH MY GOD CHILD!!! This is going to be funny someday. I swear it is! I am SO thinking about you! Take a deep breath and go on. We are all thinking of you and one motor cycle cop will be telling that story for years!! I’ll bet the traffic jam was on the news!
    You take care. Maybe staying in one spot for just a little while to flush the adrenaline backload out. Love you much, miss you.

7. Posted by Tim Strahl on June 28, 2011 at 7:48 am

Ah, the learning curve of motorhoming. Great experiences. I forgot to unlock the steering on the towed once, first turn was the learning experience.

8. Posted by Janet Barton on June 29, 2011 at 7:54 am

Maybe you should have a checklist before leaving anywhere. We had to have a checklist when we had the camping van, too many things can go wrong if you forget to do something. Way more complicated than setting up a tent. I guess you traded comfort for easier.