Crispy on the Edges

Thanks for subscribing to my blog.   I named the blog “Off the Grid” because this will be the first time since I was 18 years old that I have not had an electric bill in my name.

My blog begins with quitting my job, giving up my lease, moving my life into storage and starting a journey.   I really hope you will enjoy traveling with me  as I meet each day with an open mind, open agenda and take on what is thrown at me.  I intend to car camp and backpack and hike my way through the USA.

Day to day struggles to keep up a job, home, bills and all the trappings of civilized life have left me exhausted and “crispy on the edges” or as my friend, Dr. Geri Puleo, says “burned out in America“.

I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to take this adventure and even my 81-year-old mom says “go for it, you’re not getting any younger“, thanks, Mom.

Join me along the way if you don’t mind camping under the stars or join me virtually through reading this blog and leaving your comments and suggestions.

Cathy Herman

1. Posted by Arleen Girotti on February 9, 2011 at 9:47 am

I am looking forward to being following you on your adventure and maybe I can even hook up with you somewhere

2. Looking forward to following you & Edgar around the country — you go, girl! 🙂

3. Posted by Janet Barton on February 10, 2011 at 10:14 am

I will be following you and Edgar & really look forward to your adventures

4. Posted by Tim Strahl on February 11, 2011 at 11:23 am

I am glad you are able to do this and decided to do it now. Enjoy your adventure. I look forward to your travels through your words and pictures.

5. Cathy,
    I am so excited to be following you and keeping in touch with you as you work your way across the country. Crystal

6. Wow Cathy! What a decision! And you started this adventure on my birthday, Feb 8! How cool. I love camping also. You might want to check out the north shore of Lake Superior. There are lots of campgrounds there and spectacular scenery. Just do it in the late summer to avoid the bugs and the severe weather that hits in fall. Can’t wait to read where you been and what you’re up to!

7. Posted by Sonya on February 14, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Wow, I think that will be so fun and exiciting. Edgar is a lucky guy to get to go on such an adverture with you. Looking forward to keeping in touch as you meander across the country.

8. Posted by Julie Wilson on February 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I’m so excited for you Cathy. Take this opportunity and make the most of it. Leave no stone along the road unturned. I’ll be living vicariously through you! Take good care of yourself and Edgar!

9. Posted by Ruth Coyne on February 14, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Good for you Cathy. Following you across the country will be an adventure for all of us who remain behind. Can’t Wait!

10. Posted by Marcy Apple on February 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Enjoy your journey

11. Posted by Sue Hein on February 14, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Wow! I’m jealous – have a great adventure.

12. I am sooooooooo excited for you. Can’t wait to read about your adventures along the way!! We will miss seeing your smiling face:-)

13. Posted by Yvonne DeHart on February 14, 2011 at 4:19 pm

This is the most wonderful thing I have heard of… something I think we all dream about doing… someday. I am glad to see that your someday has come. I look forward to reading about your adventures and maybe just maybe I can get up the courage to do the same thing. God Bless

14. Posted by Amalia on February 21, 2011 at 6:52 am

Way to go! Can’t wait to read about your adventures. Someone should give you a book deal.

15. Posted by Richard Michel on February 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

WOW. I wish I could do that too.

16. Posted by Sandy Miller on February 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Wow Cathy, how exciting is that. I wish you a wonderful journey and can’t wait to follow you around on your venture. Have a safe trip.

17. Posted by kelli maurer on February 21, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I am so happy for you , this will be a great adventure and I look forward toseeing you in Colorado!!!!

18. Cathy, I just got the news about you and Edgar. We are going to miss you and your energy over the next year. But look forward to following you on all your travels! Have a safe trip, and be careful!

19. Posted by Sharon Holloway on March 1, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Boy oh Boy I gotto give you a double thumbs up for following your dreams. When I 15 I wanted to hitchhike all accross the states but then thought about where I would sleep and bath, never got much further. You and with Edgar will make sooo many friends along the way. K
    Sorry I didnt get to do any hikes with you here. Keep us posted. Will miss seeing you at the Chamber events and your smiling face.

20. Posted by Ellen on March 2, 2011 at 8:05 am

You don’t know me but you know my boss and she told me about your plans and I think that is really awesome. My prayers for safety and fun will be with you on your trip.

21. Posted by teeny on March 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

God speed woman! How empowering! I have always admired your friendly personality and drive. I pray for a safe and very fun trip for you. Be careful and write often…. can’t wait to watch your travels!

22. This is so nice. If you just “went away” somewhere, I would miss you. This way I can keep track of you (and make sure you are okay)on a regular basis. I’m so happy for you. What a brave girl you are!! I’m proud of you!

23. “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.” Love, Kim

24. ENJOY, Peace and Good fortune be with you on your travels.
    I am assuming you have a dog companion and that is all.

25. Posted by Fiona Girotti on March 12, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I hope everything turns out alright. I’m pretty sure it will! I will be following you and Edgar through your entire trip, and good luck!!!

26. What an exciting journey you’re undertaking! Looking forward to reading about it. I’m in the process of setting up a blog, but it won’t have the same kind of once-in-a-lifetime read as yours. Brave woman you!

27. Posted by Paula on March 21, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I am so proud of you. Keep us informed about the gas prices you are running into. I will be driving to Bakersfield CA this Wednesday, my dad is ill. Thinking about a couple of detours 1 down and 1 up. Any suggestions? Miss you my friend!