Rain, Hail, More Rain

Lightening, huge thunder, rain and hail.  Our second night in the tent.  I finally had the chance to take it down around 11:30 this morning when the rain let up for 10 minutes.

We stayed at Honeyman State Park and it was beautiful and flooded.   Hot tea in the tent this morning and a cold lunch in the car and still it rains.

I stopped in Reedsport Natural Foods and met the owner, Thomas Taraba.  The coffee was delicious, they stocked Dave’s Killer Bread, some yummy looking baked goods and I bought a great bottle of local Pinot, River’s Edge, 2007 Barrel Select from Umpqua Valley.

Right before we crossed the McCullough Memorial Bridge going into Coos Bay we stopped at the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area and had the beach to ourselves.  I was glad that my NW Forest Pass gained me admittance.

At 5:00, while driving through Bandon, it was still raining and I decided it was a good night to get a room.  The La Kris Inn on Hwy. 101  is reasonably priced, very nice and super clean. The owner, Steve Dimock, checked us in, he waived the pet fee and Edgar is sleeping soundly on the bed.

The BBQ joint next to the Inn drew me in with the wonderful aroma of ribs.  I totally lucked out, it is their first day and the owner, Tom Brown, was giving away BBQ.  Yes, you heard me right, giving away BBQ.  I got a great dinner for free!!  Next time you are driving down 101 stop in Charley’s Texas BBQ and tell Tom I said “howdy”.

1. Hey Sweety! What a great idea to mention the names of people and businesses you interact with!
    I’m sorry about the rain, but it add to the adventure, doesn’t it?
    I really look forward to everyone of your posts!
    Love you, Peggy

2. Posted by Laura Baxter on March 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I bet that warm shower and warm room are feeling pretty good tonight! Camping is fun, but sometimes we have to pamper ourselves, especially in this kind of weather. But, California is not far away! Warmth is a coming! 🙂

3. It is still raining.

• Posted by Fiona on April 1, 2011 at 7:34 pm

😦 😦 😦 We hate rain!!! It was very very warm today when I got off school. I couldn’t wait to get inside! It felt like summer. I hope the weather is getting better there! Again and again, good luck!

4. Posted by Jean on March 16, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Hey Cathy… enjoying your blog… missed your smiling face at BYB today. Sounds like you and Edgar are making the most of it!! Love the Tea and reading in your little home!

5. Posted by Janet Barton on March 17, 2011 at 8:15 am

Supposed to rain all week here – getting the boat ready for your arrival, looking forward to doing some hiking with my sister!

6. Posted by Michele on March 18, 2011 at 9:06 am

Hey thats very cool about the free meal. I had a similar experience when I went to New Orleans. We arrived in town with very little money in the pouring down rain and found a funky little joint called Buster’s, went in a ordered Smothered Chicken (it was delicious) after we ate Buster himself came over and after finding out about our plight bought us our dinner. What a welcome! That was 38 years ago and I will never forget his kindness. I think that the experience of meeting people all over the country and hearing their stories and experiencing their kindness will be a life changing experience for you. Blessed Be.

7. Posted by lu on March 18, 2011 at 10:29 am