Edgar

Edgar had a seizure last night at Harris Beach State Park in the tent.

Edgar is epileptic and takes phenobarbitol and potassium bromide twice a day.  Vets treat epilepsy in dogs with the same medications they use on humans.

When he has a seizure I add chlorazepate for 3 days – seizures trigger the pleasure center in the brain and the brain enjoys them, the trick is to stop multiple seizures.

He seemed to be ok and ate tons of food today.

Advertisements

1. Posted by Sonya on March 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Glad to hear Edgar is eating up his food and now doing A-OK….. Love the picture of the shore line and ocean. Very beautiful

2. Posted by Laura Baxter on March 19, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Poor Edgar. Glad he is okay. My sister-in-law has a toy poodle has epileptic seizures too. Thank goodness for medications. Take care.

3. Posted by Sharon Holloway on March 19, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Cathy I could imagine you were scared S–tless. That could put a damper on your travels when your main companion has those fits. Good things he has his best friend that knoes what to do.

4. Posted by Dean Markasky on March 19, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Nice photo. Glad Edgar is feeling better.

5. Hey Cathy,
    Pleasure centers? Haven’t heard that before. I am glad he’s okay and I do know that you are experienced in handling the seizures. I know that with people loss of sleep can be a factor. Take care. I’m thinking about you always.

6. Hi, Cathy –

So glad to hear that Edgar is doing better. He is very lucky to have a great Mom like you to take care of him — Max & I will be thinking about you.

Geri