Trying to unwind in Sausalito, CA

You would think of all places Sausalito would be perfect to unwind.  Especially living on a sailboat in a marina next to a beach and 10 minute walk from town.

There are Kingfishers, Forster’s Tern, American Coot, Great Blue Heron, and too many other birds to count, just outside my door.  3 parks along the waterfront in walking distance.  Still I have trouble stopping to watch the birds and smell the flowers.

The sailboat needs spring cleaning and I have been putting in a few hours everyday making it spic and span – what is the origin of that phrase?  Spic and Span.  Still not enough to do.

I walked the trail from Sausalito to Mill Valley this afternoon with my sister – about 3 miles through beautiful wetlands.  Then tonight I walked Edgar another 3 miles.  Still restless.

I have been off work for 24 days.  Stopping to appreciate life is more difficult than I had imagined.

Advertisements

1. Posted by karen on March 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm

British idiom first recorded in 1579, and used shortly afterwards in Samuel Pepys’s diary. A spick was a spike or nail, a span was a very fresh wood chip, and thus the phrase meant clean and neat and all in place, as in being nailed down.

2. Posted by Tim Strahl on March 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Stopping to appreciate life is a state of mind. Camping, hiking and enjoying nature are to me physical or mechanical actions. Since you enjoy these physical things, they are the life you are striving for like climbing a mountain when you are 85. So, within this, let your mind find the appreciation you are looking for and enjoy the beauty of nature while you journey there.

3. Posted by Michele on March 29, 2011 at 8:10 pm

First of all I think after decades of working with only snippets of time off. I think you need to give yourself more than 3 weeks to find that which you are looking for. You said you were a year off, you aren’t even out of the starting blocks yet, and from the sound of your posts it doesn’t sound like you have stopped at all. I think appreciation like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Give yourself time (its the one thing you have lots of now)if what your doing isn’t making you happy try something new. You just need to direct some of that wonderful positive energy that you give to other people at yourself. Advise yourself as you would your best friend.luvM

4. Spick and Span was changed by 2 housewifes to Spic and Span for a cleaning product they developed. The following is a more indepth review of the term. You asked!
    The noun spick has various meanings, or rather it had various meanings, as it is now rarely used outside of spick and span. These include: a side of bacon, a floret of lavender, a nail or spike, a thatching spar.

Likewise span has/had several meanings, including: the distance from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger, a measure of butter, a fetter or chain, a chip of wood (as the Norse word spann-nyr).

Just from those meanings, and there are more, we could generate sixteen possible combinations to form spick and span. It isn’t clear which, if any, of those words were used when coining the phrase. Some clue might come from the fact that the phrase is very old and was originally spick and span-new. This is cited in Sir Thomas North’s translation of Plutarch’s Lives of the noble Grecians and Romanes, 1579:

“They were all in goodly gilt armours, and brave purple cassocks apon them, spicke, and spanne newe.”

5. Posted by Richard Michel on March 29, 2011 at 8:53 pm

“Dr. Rich” says, you are still in withdrawl from the life you were used to the last 30 or 40 years. Give it some time. Catch up on your sleep. Don’t make any schedules. Eat when you get hungry not because it’s lunchtime. Have another glass of wine. Most of all, remember I’m not really a doctor:-)

6. Posted by Arleen Girotti on March 30, 2011 at 6:38 am

BREATHE !! I LOVE YOU !!

7. Posted by Mike Holcomb on April 2, 2011 at 9:38 am

I go with the advie from “Dr. Rich”, relax, give it another 48 weeks or so and have another glass of wine, eat when you want, sleep when you want and most of all do as little or a lot of that which hits you at the moment. Remember tomorrow will come whether you do something or nothing. It will just come to you, so enjoy the day and the days to come.