Viva Las Vegas – Not!

We rolled into Las Vegas on Friday night around 10:00.

I was going to break down and get a hotel room until they asked me for $250.00 plus tax and some kind of resort fee.  I made dozens of calls and decided to roll out of town.

Edgar and I set up our backpacking tent on BLM land outside of Vegas for FREE!!  Not far from the road and only for a few hours, but, got to stretch out and catch a few zzzz’s.

We rolled back into town in the morning for some Starbucks coffee and oatmeal, after dishing out $13.00 for my breakfast I decided Vegas was too rich for my pocketbook.  I took a few photos and we headed east, out of town.

1. Posted by Mack Dolsen on May 27, 2011 at 11:37 am

Yep, that’s been my experience too. There isn’t really any place to sit in that town without a hand in your pocket. Great thinking on the BLM spot.

2. Posted by karen on May 27, 2011 at 11:38 am

Vegas is way to spendy. You should head south about 2 hour drive to Laughlin. We are going to be there tomorrow. Call our office and Bev will give you the cell number. We’d love to see you! Cheryl & Karen

3. Posted by Nora on May 27, 2011 at 11:41 am

I have been running into this ‘resort fee’ on recent trips. They have varied from $15.00 daily to $49.00 daily. They are real rip-off. They are not optional but are providing you services like access to work out rooms and wireless internet. Hello? I wouldn’t be so offended if it was a one time fee but it is a daily fee AND at the end of your stay your are charged room tax on it! So be sure to ask about fees if the rate sounds to good to be true.

4. Posted by karen on May 27, 2011 at 11:57 am

Forgot to mention we’ll be in Laughlin Saturday thru Wednesday. They have cheap rooms and cheap food. Camping near by too! We are staying at the Aquarius right on the river. Take the 95 south and come find us ;o) Link below will give you more info on laughlin, NV.

5. Wow! I remember when Vegas was the land of cheap eats and rooms. Guess I won’t be going there any time soon. Maybe if you got away from the strip? Glad to hear Edgar is doing well!

6. Fun place to visit, lots to see, but yes. They want your money. One way or another!!! Sorry you didn’t get a chance to see much. Better things to see than Vegas anyway!!