The Sunday edition…..

Hold onto your reins folks its going to be a wild ride.  Can you tell I’m in Texas?

Last time I wrote, my car was getting a new set of tires in Albuquerque, NM.  I have been texting and talking to my friend David, who I met in Portland, and he was in Houston, TX.  Come on down to Houston and visit, was the simple request. I checked my iPhone and Houston was only 884 miles and I figured, what the heck.

Well…….David’s dad sells RV’s and he had a 1986 Fleetwood Southwind 26′ fully equipped in his girlfriends driveway. ” I will let her go for $3,000 cash, and your sleeping in a tent, step up to luxury my friend ” David’s dad David, Sr. is truly a salesman who understands the correct buttons to push, I liked him right away.

So……….I now own a 1986 RV.  It did have a few problems and David and his dad agreed to help me work them out and get things in shape so I am safe on the road.  I had to have a tow bar attached to my car so I could bring it with me.  The generator needed repaired, we found some incredibly nice redneck southern guys who put in a whole new generator.  These two fine men made me feel like I was with my Dad and they even took the time to look over the RV to make sure I was safe.  Thanks so much to Mark from North Houston, you truly are a gentleman.

So, our first drive was from Houston to Galveston, about an hour south and a good test drive for me.  I was terrified to be driving a 26′ vehicle towing my car, are you freaking kidding!!  ok, I can do this, old folk do it all the time.  I got us to Galveston, we hooked everything up and turned on the water and the shower started to immediately leak.  Noticing the new handles in the tub, I opened the box and we repaired the shower, which is now working beautifully.

Texas is incredibly hot, humid and everything here sticks ya, stabs ya or grabs ya.  Galveston has lots of drive on beaches and having a rv, with all my stuff, my car and air conditioning, makes life much easier.  I am looking forward to setting it up on a beach in California.

1. Posted by Yvonne on June 19, 2011 at 10:24 am

Cathy you are truly my hero! how is it to drive that big of a rig? How is edgar getting a long in his new place? does he have trouble seeing out the window?

2. Posted by Gail Watson on June 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I drove a motorhome about the size back in the late 1990’s. It’s great once you get used to it . . . like anything. Woo, hoo. Your riding in style now! . . . . Can Edgar see out the windows? Did you fix him up with a special seat of his own? (smile)

3. Posted by Gail Watson on June 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Oh, one more thought. I don’t know where you are headed next, but in 1979 two friends and I drove through Texas (13 hours) living in a pickup and cab-over camper for 5 weeks. We drove from Portland pretty much on the route you are taking, headed for Pensacola, Florida. Driving through Mississippi in the evening we experienced the Bayou’s. They were awesome and something we have never seen, or heard, here in Oregon. The frogs and the crickets put on quite a concert in the evening. If you get into the South, hope you can catch them in concert too.

4. Posted by Mike Holcomb on June 20, 2011 at 8:30 am

The more comfortable you get he more you will stay out. Maybe this will be a two year pause for the soul rather than a year.

5. I have an older motor home about that long with the same kind of cab. I love it! I’ve driven all over with it pulling a boat. The only think I don’t like about ours is the breakdowns. Everywhere we went for the first couple of years, something broke along the way. The good thing is that it now has completely new wiring under the dash, new frig, new toilet, new water tank, new distributer, new window wiper system and a new transmission.
    They are so much fun to drive though, aren’t they? And you have a great deal more freedom. You can’t set up a tent in a parking lot!! Plus with a generator and ac, you can leave Edgar for bits at a time. Why didn’t we think of that before you left?!

6. Your “camping” in style now! How’s the gas mileage? Enjoy the comfort!