Rhythm of the River

Arriving in early July the river is full of life, the trees are in full bloom, the summer flowers sweet in the air.  Lightening bugs by the hundreds and a cacophony of sound from the cicadas, tree frogs, crickets and crows.

September 1st and the hummingbirds have all gone south, the birds are gathering in larger and larger flocks for their long flights.  The grinnies and squirrels are working overtime storing the bounty of summer.  Our property has chestnut, black walnut, apple, pear and peach trees which are all enjoyed by the large variety of animals that make their daily trip to feed.

I will admit to spending hours just sitting on the picnic table and watching the river.  Bald Eagles, Turkey Vultures, Swift, Geese and Blue Heron fishing the river and cleaning up the debris have given me much pleasure.

The turtles come out and sun themselves on the rocks, scooting quickly into the river at any sign of danger.  The river is clean enough to watch the fish feed and I have seen carp being chased by walleye and pike.

The sun is setting sooner and the nights have a nip of chill dressing the leaves in their brilliant fall wardrobe.  Soon, the summer camps will be closed and snow will blanket the ground……

1. Posted by Arleen on September 2, 2011 at 8:15 am

The river looks beautiful !!

2. Posted by Jamie Wilcox on September 2, 2011 at 8:56 am

Wow, you can write Lady! I felt like I was sitting next to you at the picnic table.

3. Posted by kelli maurer on September 2, 2011 at 9:59 am

Oh how I envy you and miss you! Sounds alot like heaven.

4. Posted by Nora on September 2, 2011 at 10:13 am

Sounds like you are finding your soul again. I am so glad you are able to take the time to stand somewhat still.

5. Posted by Laura Baxter on September 2, 2011 at 12:59 pm

How nice! Glad you are having such a peaceful and beautiful time!

6. Posted by Janet Barton on September 2, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Childhood memories………..

7. Posted by Cheryl Dolsen on September 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I’m so glad you’re getting to enjoy the river. This summer has been the first that I’ve been able to see the Clackamas river up close and personal. My friends and I have been spending almost all our free time rafting down the river, watching the birds, fish and locals who sing and play and swim. It has been one amazing summer. Unfortunately the river gets lower every week, and Sunday may be our last day for the river. I hope you are enjoying your travels! I look forward to catching up with you at some point when you are back in town…

8. Well, now that I’ve read this, I know that you really DO have to write a book about your travels. I could have just kept on reading for hours if you had written more. Very good job. You created lovely pictures in my mind. Thank You.