Money is NOT everything!

Well, it has been far too long since my fingers and brain coordinated and decided to sit and write.
I had a really horrible day yesterday, my car needs repairs and, quite frankly, I just don’t know where I am going to find the funds. I cried for a while feeling sorry for myself, if you know me, that didn’t last long 🙂
I decided to take a long walk through the wonderful landscape at Ecola State Park. It is amazing how your perspective can change when you quit dwelling on the bad and dwell on the good.
My view is of the beautiful Pacific Ocean, elk come visit me, sitting in my back yard chewing their cud, grey whales swim by putting on a wonderful display, the pelicans, oyster catchers, puffins, and hundreds of other sea birds entertain me with their comings and goings. I get up every day to a volunteer job that brings me joy, meeting people from all over the world who come here to learn, picnic or just enjoy the view.
My health is terrific, I can easily hike 10 miles and still have the ability to climb steep terrain and scramble over rock and downed trees. Eating and cooking mostly vegetarian for myself and enjoying the simple pleasures of cutting an onion, breaking lettuce adding some seeds and cheese and relishing each bite. Fast food is a thing of the past along with soda, chips and the mindless eating in front of a tv.
The library brings me great pleasures, books about far away lands and times, books about self-improvement and just fun books like Harry Potter.
I have hundreds of friends, some close with who I can discuss my heart, some who engage me in mindful debate, some who drive me crazy. I cherish my family, my nieces, my sisters and brother, and am grateful my mom is in great health and mind at 82 years young.
I don’t have lots of “stuff” or clothes or shoes or all those other things that we are told will make us happy.
What I do have is a wonderful life, my life. It is raining today, and I am going to go out and dance in it!!

1. Posted by Michele Ajamian on July 20, 2012 at 11:12 am

Dance away my friend. We’ll be in Seaside on the 1st and will stop by.

2. Cathy, You might try posting in the barter section of craigslist. You might find someone who could fix your car in exchange for ?? I’ve had some yardwork and tree trimming done that way.

3. Ecola state park is such an incredible place. Here’s a phrase I heard recently that might be apt… “To blessed to be stressed.” It’s from a book I just finished called the energy bus.

4. Posted by Steve Baker on July 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

This came from Dina and is on my bulletin board, and reminds me of the way things should be instead of our go-too-fast, stressed out lives … “Let’s go out into the sunshine, take off our clothes … dance … sing … make love … get enlightened”

5. Posted by dina savoroski on July 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm

My new friend (who I have not met yet)- Please embrace your moments of solitude and idleness. I have experienced (and more) those days- wondered about life- love-etc- if you dare, pray to the “spirits” (out loud) and ask for what you really do want out of life. I’m not a miracle worker but I will tell you that IF you believe and ASK out loud…….(look for bats and rats in your life and you will KNOW it’s going to work). Is that weird, or what? It happened to me (and Steve)- could happen to you- ONLY if you believe ………..~Dina

6. Hi Cathy! Just the other day I was thinking, “I wonder what Cathy is up to these days?” since I haven’t received an email/blog post from you recently. Glad to hear you are doing great!

7. Posted by chris&DEB on July 21, 2012 at 3:50 am

HI CATHY; IT TOOK ME 40 YEARS TO IT’S NOT WHAT YOU DON’T HAVE; IT’S WHAT YOU DO HAVE!!!! ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS I DO HAVE IS PEACE AND , MY DEBBIE !!!! WISH WE WERE THERE WITH YOU!! WE WILL VISIT SOON!! ONE DAY AT A TIME, DON’T WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW IT WILL TAKE CARE OF IT SELF , LIVE IN THE MOMENT!!!

8. Posted by MikeH on July 21, 2012 at 10:08 am

It is good to hear it is still working so well with you. I see from your picture that you have gotten younger on this journey. You look happier and more peaceful. You are correct in not needing it all.

9. Posted by Janet on July 21, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Don’t forget to dance, no no no, don’t forget to smile