The Complaint Book

As I sat here this morning in my RV watching the hummingbirds six inches out my window, the sun shining, Edgar sleeping, I thought about my “old life”.

I kept a journal called the “Complaint Book”. The two things I did every morning were check my sales numbers from the day before and deal with Customer Complaints. I kept it separate from all my other paperwork and never carried it into a customer’s office, any meeting, it was a handwritten, stand alone, one of a kind living journal for my eyes only.

I believe complaints are the most important factor to happiness for yourself and a happy customer. You know a complaint… any sentence that starts with “This sucks” or your version thereof. Complaints are sacred in sales and life, writing them down gives you a good indicator of how your life, or sales, are going.

Along with customer complaints, I would write down my own daily complaints. When I found myself complaining enough about one certain thing – it was time for a change. If there were enough complaints to fill a book, you really got to look at your life…..

Customer complaints were usually easy to rectify. Some took a good explanation of the realities of supply and demand especially when a customer wanted a small supply of a paper that needed to be ordered by the big expensive case 🙂  I used to order in sample sheets for customers if they needed to do an order of business cards on a specialty sheet – I still hate business cards from a printers and paper suppliers point of view.

So this morning I thought about cleaning out my locker and finding the “Complaint Book” among my stored belongings. I left it at home when I started my journey, it was shredded, along with my other paperwork from xpedx and Clean Copy when the locker was emptied and I moved my entire life into the RV.

I no longer need a “Complaint Book”, I transformed my life into one where each day alive is certainly a good day on earth. Time to wake up Edgar, we are walking to Manzanita – about a 4 mile round trip, to drop off some mail at the post office and grab a nice coffee.

CathyImage

1. Posted by Jamie on May 2, 2013 at 10:39 am

Good to hear you are in a good place! I have been wondering what’s going on with you! Thanks for the post.
    Jamie

2. Ya, it’s been awhile Cathy! Glad to hear things are going well and you were able to shred that ol’ complaint book! 🙂 Laura

3. Posted by Yvonne DeHart on May 2, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Cathy, I thank you for your openness about your life and the journey you are on. I think you are one of the most brave people I have the pleasure of knowing. As the last 2yrs of my life and been filled with lose and sadness… many time I have thought of you and said to myself one day, one day I hope that I am brave enough to have a journey and new beginning as Cathy. To step outside one self imposed constraints. I hope to hear more of you story as you continue your journey and hope we will cross paths as I am planning to embark on mine.

4. Hi Cathy good to hear from you!!

5. PS beautiful pic. I love the ocean!!

6. Posted by Mike on May 3, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Good to hear from you. Nice to see you are still on your journey and enjoying it. Life is good when there are few complaints and you can do as the winds move you.

7. Posted by Joe B on May 8, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Hey Cathy, I am totally N V US! Still in that paper rat race. Maybe someday???

8. Posted by floatinggourmet on May 11, 2013 at 9:38 am

No complaints – sounds good to me – I don’t have any either. xoxo Janet

9. Posted by floatinggourmet on May 11, 2013 at 9:39 am

Oh, one more thing – is there a complaint box at the camp that you have to deal with?

• There is a comment box, but I do not have to deal with it 🙂 and most complaints at the Park can be dealt with easily – “hey dude, would you mind keeping your dog on a leash?, thanks a lot”

10. Posted by Alice on August 19, 2013 at 7:45 am

Your life seems so interesting! I’ve enjoyed reading your blog, Thought you may be interested in this:

CASTING CALL
    Animal Planet’s Living on the Edge!

Are you living the American Dream in an amazing, off-the grid or eco-friendly home? Does your home have awesome, innovative features that set it apart from all the rest? Do you live in a solar-powered shipping container, badass missile silo, domestic dome home, or the like? Last, but not least, are you and your family a group of dynamic, entertaining characters with a passion for your home and the lifestyle that comes with it?

If so, this is the show for you! Animal Planet’s new series, “Living on the Edge,” will feature interesting people who are “living their dream” in amazing, off-the-grid or eco-friendly homes. We would require up to three full days of shooting in your home with you and your family; however, you will be compensated for your time. The shoot will take place in September or October of 2013.

If you’re interested in participating in our show, please send an email with the following information, as well as 1-2 photos of you & your family, and 3-5 photos of your home (both interior & exterior).

• Names and ages of homeowners
    • Phone numbers and email addresses
    • Location
    • Describe your home. What makes it unique? Did you build it yourself? How long have you lived here? What do you love most about your house?
    • Describe all off-the-grid and/or eco-friendly elements of your home.
    • Describe yourself and your family. Interests? Passions? Hobbies? What makes you the perfect fit for our show?

Please send all information and photos to livingontheedgeTV@gmail.com. Please include the name of your city in the subject line and where you saw this posting.