Sitting here in my RV with fingers on the keyboard – how do I express my gratitude that I have a place to sit?

I have never felt so fortunate, blessed by karma, an RV fire, put out before it could do real damage… unheard of.

This is the text of the letter I am sending to the company that made the heater that caught on fire…….

Let’s start with the good news. I had a working smoke detector, there was a fire extinguisher handy, my dog survived and so did my RV with all my belongings, well, almost all.

My Heater was sitting in the middle of the floor with no flammable things around it.

I left for work at 8pm. The call came in at 10pm – “We have your dog, the fire is out.”

My RV is parked in the L loop at Ft. Stevens, cabin 18 s directly behind. Matthew Weatherman, the guest, heard my smoke detector, saw the black smoke billowing out of my vents and my little dog in the window. He bravely broke a window in the RV, saved my dog and extinguished the fire.

The fireman said 2 more minutes and I would have lost everything, including my precious Edgar.

This was my second Heater. I liked my first one and your excellent customer service. The first one quit working, I called, your company repaired it, paying shipping both ways. I was very impressed and have told numerous people about my experience and your product.

The Heater kept my RV at the perfect temperature. I kept it on a separate line, with a heavy duty extension cord plugged directly into the outside electrical box with an GFI. I felt completely safe – until now.

Over the last two days I repaired a broken window, scrubbed, scrubbed, and scrubbed, the entire RV interior.

Last night I sat at the laundromat with 15 loads of laundry and that is just the beginning.

Today I am making calls to have the carpets cleaned and screen repaired. I fixed the broken window myself with a piece of plexi and my Dremmel tool.

I have never been so happy to have a broken window.

I bought this, or what’s left of this, Heater at Home Depot in November or December of 2013.

I hope sending this back helps you figure out what went wrong. The heater did not tip over… that’s one reason I liked it, a low, fat profile. I set it correctly – it was on a 6. It seemed to be working fine when I left.

I would hate for a family to lose everything over a heater. This has been a huge, expensive mess for me, and the fire was extinguished before it could do real damage.

I did not call my insurance company because the damage is under my deductible and I don’t need a rate increase.

Matthew Weatherman is the hero in all this. His company, Luck Dragon, plays children’s music, their motto is “you can fly!” he certainly was my angel.

My motto is “every day alive is a good day on earth” I have repeated this mantra to myself more than once in the last few days.

Cathy Herman




4 responses to this post.

  1. So sorry to hear that this happened! Thank goodness Edgar is okay. Hopefully the heater company will make it up to you somehow…


  2. Posted by Jamie Wilcox on March 31, 2014 at 6:31 am

    Cheers to Matthew! Someone is looking out for you.


  3. Posted by floatinggourmet on March 31, 2014 at 5:49 pm

    This makes me want to cry


  4. Posted by Sharon Holloway on April 1, 2014 at 10:26 am

    Wow what a terrible experience. I am so glad Edgar and your self are ok with min. damage to your home. It could have been a complete loss. If Edgar could only talk.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: